License Your Dog

If you live within Calistoga, Cloverdale, Healdsburg, or Petaluma city limits, you MUST license your dog.

State law REQUIRES that all dogs aged 4 months and over must have a current rabies vaccination and be licensed. It is the dog owner’s responsibility to maintain a current license.

Please note: The metal tag your veterinarian provides is NOT a license.

Register online

Calistoga Online Licensing
Cloverdale Online Licensing
Healdsburg Online Licensing
Petaluma Online Licensing

– OR –

1. Complete this form. You can either mail it to us or deliver it to the Petaluma Animal Shelter.

2. Enclose a copy of your dog’s current rabies vaccination certificate.

3. If your dog is spayed or neutered, enclose a copy of the certificate. (Must submit to receive the lower fee.)

4. Enclose a check or money order for $20 (spayed/neutered) or $25 (unneutered).

5. We will send your license tag and receipt in the mail. License fees are due yearly in the month that your dog’s rabies vaccine was given.

 Date Owner Applies for  License or Renewal  Date of Rabies Vaccination  License Duration/Dates
      9/1/2013   4/1/2013  4/1/2013 to 4/1/2014*


*This example demonstrates that the owner delayed by 5 months applying for a license (or renewal). The license/renewal duration is still a year; however, it will always be based on the date of the rabies vaccination

The tag we send is permanent. Lost tags can be replaced for $6.00